Meaning of Pink Ribbons Tied to trees and Random Stake
GERMANIUM CRAINIUM
2006-04-12 15:30:20 UTC
Greetings,

My dear mother owns a small parcel +/- 5 acres of wooded undeveloped
land in Missouri. The parcel is split between two different cities.
About three months ago, we noticed that there were florescent pink
survey ribbons tied all over the trees and saplings on the front two
acres of the property (all in one city). The only wooden stake I
could find was marked "random" (hand written) and near the highway
that fronts the property. I have called both cities with no luck in
finding the meaning of these ribbons.

What would be the reason for a survey stake marked random and putting
ribbons on tree limbs all over the place? The ribbons do not seem to
follow any logical pattern or property line at all only all are on the
front half of the property and none seem to be placed past the city
limit line that bisects the property but don't really follow it
either. They are tied on everything from saplings, to downed
branches, to good healthy trees and are just freakin everywhere.
There are like 100 or maybe even more ribbons on the tree limbs.

My mother also has No Tresspassing signs w/phone number on the
propery and they tied a dang ribbon on a tree limb right behind one of
the signs so they knew the signs were there. I don't mind the flags if
they serve some purpose but seems wrong to put this many ribbons on
someones property without saying something to the owner. We have
owned the property for about 40 years and it has been surveyed with
paid survey by us so I know it is ours. I know surveyors have right
to access and I have no problem with that either but wish we could
find out the meaning of the ribbons. Why in the world wouldn't they
use marked flags or stakes with surveyors name or something? Anyone
out there that could speculate or possibly shed some light on why this
would have been done? Even guesses would be appreciated.

In this day and age, it has me a bit worried.

Thanks in advance!!!
Ralph
Thanks in advance!!!
GERMANIUM CRAINIUM
2006-04-12 15:47:10 UTC
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your reply. The ribbons go way back deep into the property
and are not near power lines so this could not be purpose.
Thanks in advance!!!
Anigo Montoya
2006-04-16 14:43:45 UTC
Is ther a roadway in front of the property? If so and the ribbons are
along a corridor adjacent to the roadway, there may be plans for a
roadway expansion and the ribbons are from random locations for a
design or topographic survey. Not sure, but hope it helps.
Thanks in advance!!!
GERMANIUM CRAINIUM
2006-04-17 12:47:47 UTC
Post by Anigo Montoya
Is ther a roadway in front of the property? If so and the ribbons are
along a corridor adjacent to the roadway, there may be plans for a
roadway expansion and the ribbons are from random locations for a
design or topographic survey. Not sure, but hope it helps.
Hi,

Yes to both questions and thanks. I think this might be it. Actually
a rural highway fronts the property. So these ribbons then maybe
equate to those rings you see on topographic maps or something then?
It just did not make any sense to me why in the world they would tie
them to trees. I still don't get that actually. It was also an
eyesore and somewhat upsetting to see tons of ugly pink ribbons
flapping from trees. I grew up in these woods. We have hunted morell
mushrooms on the property for years (now I really can't tell you
anything else about the location). Just felt like a trespass or
someone was staking a claim or something and I have no problem at all
with surveyors.

I do understand fully understand reasons for surveyors and have even
hired a couple in the past. Not to sound like a beer commercial or
anything but I figure that it is actually surveyors that are some of
the folks that help maintain our private property rights in this great
land and tell us where the property lines are for sure. So I have
zero problem with them. Just didn't get why they wouldn't use a stake
with a name on it or those little flags or even name printed on
ribbons. It is worrysome when a survey takes place on your property
and you don't know why. Maybe this is payback for all the little
flags I pulled up for bicycle decorations and walking sticks/swords
when I was much younger and exploring the countryside.

One last question is who would I contact to find out the purpose of
this survey if it is topographical or design?

Thanks again!

Anigo Montoya
REW
2006-04-22 20:00:40 UTC
Gooey TARBALLS
2006-04-12 20:04:21 UTC
" I know surveyors have right to access "

What? Where did this come from? As far as I know, no one has a RIGHT to
trespass on the property of another save Emergency personnel in an emergency
situation and police in the performance of their duties.

When were surveyors granted these rights?
Thanks in advance!!!
C.M.German
2006-04-12 20:53:18 UTC

Many, many years ago. Grasshopper.
Gooey TARBALLS
2006-04-13 02:56:40 UTC
In Florida, the right to enter onto the lands of others seems clear enough.
But note that it is a right granted in the furtherance of a survey on the
adjacent lands. Not to put ribbons on the trees of the property enter upon.
REGULATION OF PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONSChapter 471
ENGINEERINGView Entire Chapter

471.027 Engineers authorized to enter lands of third parties under certain
conditions.--Engineers are hereby granted permission AND authority to go on,
over, AND upon the lands of others when necessary to make engineering
surveys AND, in so doing, to carry with them their agents AND employees
necessary for that purpose. Entry under the right hereby granted shall not
constitute trespass, AND engineers AND their duly authorized agents or
employees so entering shall not be liable to arrest or a civil action by
reason of such entry; however, nothing in this section shall be construed as
giving authority to said licensees, agents, or employees to destroy, injure,
damage, or move anything on lands of another without the written permission
of the landowner.

472.029 Authorization to enter lands of third parties; conditions.--
(1) IN GENERAL.--surveyors AND mappers or their subordinates may go on,
over, AND upon the lands of others when necessary to make surveys AND maps
or locate or set monuments, AND, in so doing, may carry with them their
agents AND employees necessary for that purpose. Entry under the right
granted by this subsection does not constitute trespass, AND surveyors AND
mappers AND their duly authorized agents or employees so entering are not
liable to arrest or to a civil action by reason of such entry; however, this
subsection does not give authority to registrants, subordinates, agents, or
employees to destroy, injure, damage, or move any physical improvements on

C.M.German
2006-04-13 11:14:21 UTC
Is Florida still a state?

"Gooey TARBALLS" <***@verizon.net> wrote in message news:I5j%f.12538$***@trnddc07...
| In Florida, the right to enter onto the lands of others seems clear
enough.
| But note that it is a right granted in the furtherance of a survey on the
| adjacent lands. Not to put ribbons on the trees of the property enter
upon.
| REGULATION OF PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONSChapter 471
| ENGINEERINGView Entire Chapter
|
| 471.027 Engineers authorized to enter lands of third parties under
certain
| conditions.--Engineers are hereby granted permission AND authority to go
on,
| over, AND upon the lands of others when necessary to make engineering
| surveys AND, in so doing, to carry with them their agents AND employees
| necessary for that purpose. Entry under the right hereby granted shall
not
| constitute trespass, AND engineers AND their duly authorized agents or
| employees so entering shall not be liable to arrest or a civil action by
| reason of such entry; however, nothing in this section shall be construed
as
| giving authority to said licensees, agents, or employees to destroy,
injure,
| damage, or move anything on lands of another without the written
permission
| of the landowner.
|
| 472.029 Authorization to enter lands of third parties; conditions.--
| (1) IN GENERAL.--surveyors AND mappers or their subordinates may go on,
| over, AND upon the lands of others when necessary to make surveys AND
maps
| or locate or set monuments, AND, in so doing, may carry with them their
| agents AND employees necessary for that purpose. Entry under the right
| granted by this subsection does not constitute trespass, AND surveyors
AND
| mappers AND their duly authorized agents or employees so entering are not
| liable to arrest or to a civil action by reason of such entry; however,
this
| subsection does not give authority to registrants, subordinates, agents,
or
| employees to destroy, injure, damage, or move any physical improvements
on
| lands of another without the written permission of the landowner.
| "C.M.German" <***@delphia.net> wrote in message
| >
| > "Gooey TARBALLS" <***@verizon.net> wrote in message
| > |" I know surveyors have right to access "
| > |